This week, Joy chats with Josh Gitalis, a Clinical Nutritionist who is a recognized expert in the fields of clinical detoxification and therapeutic supplementation. He runs a Toronto-based, private practice, with a worldwide client base. As a leader in his field, Josh teaches Clinical Nutrition for several natural health colleges and is the first Canadian nutritionist to become an Institute for Functional Medicine Certified Practitioner (IFMCP).
In this episode Josh shares his wealth of knowledge on all things vitamin D from what it is and how it functions in the body to the best ways to incorporate it into your life. You’ll be amazed to learn how this humble nutrient impacts everything from immune function to gut health to bone density! After listening to this episode you’ll have all the knowledge you need to start incorporating safe vitamin D supplementation into your routine.
If you’ve been looking to learn more about vitamin D and why we need it for vibrant, happy, joyous health then you won’t want to miss this episode! So brew a cup of your favourite tea, grab a pen and paper, and get ready for a deep dive on this super nutrient!
- What vitamin D is and how it functions in the body.
- How our sex hormones are derived from cholesterol.
- Every cell in our body has a receptor for vitamin D.
- How vitamin D tells our cells how to function.
- Why vitamin D is still classified as a vitamin instead of a hormone.
- The top health benefits of vitamin D.
- The role of vitamin D in modulating the immune system.
- How the digestive tract is impacted by vitamin D deficiency.
- What is intestinal permeability (or leaky gut) and how it impacts overall health.
- The impact of vitamin D on bone and tooth health.
- The important relationship between vitamin D and calcium.
- The connection between vitamin D deficiency and mental health.
- All about the blood brain barrier and mental health.
- How sun exposure creates vitamin D in the body.
- How your body multiplies the effectiveness of vitamin D over time.
- Other major health benefits of sun exposure.
- A breakdown of the solar spectrum and how it impacts the circadian rhythm.
- How sunscreen impacts the production of vitamin D.
- The best sunscreens to use.
- The importance of maintaining appropriate blood levels of vitamin D to prevent certain illnesses.
- How to practice safe sun exposure.
- Other great sources of vitamin D to use throughout the year.
- Why you typically can’t get enough vitamin D from food.
- The importance of testing your vitamin D levels, even if you get a lot of sun.
- What range you should look for in your blood tests.
- The lag time between scientific proof and public policy.
- How to test your vitamin D levels in Canada.
- How vitamin D status can influence health costs.
- Josh and Meghan’s informative website The Vitamin D Hub.
- The best form of vitamin D to take for optimal absorption.
- Why not everyone needs to supplement with vitamin K.
- The importance of taking vitamin D with food for absorption.
Josh Gitalis on Instagram
Work With Josh
The Vitamin D Hub
The Impact of Nutrition & Lifestyle on Mental Health with Josh Gitalis
Today is the Day Podcast with his wife and nutritionist, Meghan Telpner