This Healthy Apple Hemp Loaf is perfect for cozy mornings slathered with your fave nut or seed butter - but that coconut butter glaze - ohhhhh yeah! Do yourself a favour and do not skip that step. It’s the perfect finishing touch to this moist, delectable loaf.
Let's talk about these nourishing ingredients. I love using oat flour in baking because it’s such a versatile flour to cook with, especially if you typically use white or whole wheat flour. It’s a great transition flour to the world of gluten-free baking. That being said, if you have a sensitivity to gluten, it’s important to note that some people are still sensitive to other grains including oats.
More reasons to love oat flour:
- Energizing. Oat flour's complex carbs are here to fuel your day with long-lasting energy, ensuring you're ready to conquer anything that comes your way.
- Bone Booster. Let's talk about strong bones! Oat flour contains magnesium and phosphorus, giving your bones the love they need to stay strong.
- Gut loving. Oat flour's high fiber content is on a mission to make you feel satisfied.
- Heart-healthy choice. Packed with beta-glucans, which help to balance our cholesterol by lowering LDL cholesterol.
Another incredible addition to this loaf is ground hemp. Not to be confused with hemp hearts, this is more like a flour. Hemp is ground down into a flour texture. If you don’t have ground hemp, you could try adding a little more oat flour or if you're really motivated and you have hemp hearts, you could put them in your food processor and make your own ground hemp.
As I mentioned above, you definitely do not want to skip the coconut butter glaze. When melting coconut butter down you have to be really careful not to burn it which means patience is a virtue! Coconut butter is very different from coconut oil as it contains the meat and the fibre of the coconut, not just the fat like coconut oil. Adding some coconut oil helps the texture of the glaze. It’s naturally sweet so you do not need to add any sweetener.
- Truly healthy, satisfying and comforting especially if you enjoy it with a Rise and Shine Tea Latte (hint, hint).
- Gluten-free and nut-free (if you want to add chopped walnuts or pecans that would add a lovely texture)
- Satisfying and blood sugar balancing especially if you enjoy it with some almond butter
- Kid-and-picky-eater-friendly, it’s also lunchbox friendly since there’s no nuts
- Packed with vitamins, minerals and anti-inflammatory compounds
Here's the recipe...
Healthy Apple Hemp Loaf
Select Stars →
- 1 1/4 cup oat flour
- 1/4 cup Manitoba Harvest ground hemp seed
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1⁄4 cup coconut sugar or monk fruit sugar
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup milk of your choice (I used oat milk)
- 1⁄3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 small eggs
- 1⁄4 cup melted coconut oil
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 cup finely chopped apple
- Optional: 1⁄4 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- 1/4 cup coconut butter
- 2-3 tbsp coconut oil
- Preheat the oven to 350 F (180 C). Line a standard size loaf pan with parchment paper or grease with coconut oil.
- In a large bowl, combine the dry ingredients together including oat flour, ground hemp, coconut flour, coconut sugar, ground cinnamon, baking soda and baking powder.
- In a separate bowl, combine wet ingredients including milk, applesauce, eggs, coconut oil, maple syrup and chopped apple.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix together. Fold in walnuts or pecans if using. Pour into loaf pan and bake for 60-70 minutes or until a knife inserted comes out clean.
- Once fully baked, remove from the oven and let cool completely before slicing.
- To make the glaze, slowly melt the coconut butter and coconut oil on a very low temperature on the stovetop. Pour over top of loaf once loaf has fully cooled.
- Refrigerate for up to 5 days or slice and freeze for up to 3 months in an airtight container.
I hope you enjoy this loaf as much as my family does!